6 Random Facts about the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta
The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta went from a small gathering of 13 balloons in 1972. The Balloon Fiesta has grown to become the largest balloon events in the world. It is held each year during the first week in October, the Balloon Fiesta now attracts almost 600 balloons and 1000 pilots.
- The Balloon Fiesta is the most photographed event on the planet.
- April 8, 1972, First Event Date
- The Albuquerque balloon festival is a 9-day event lasting all day! Events begin as early as 5:45 am and end at 8:00 pm. During the day or night, visitors can enjoy the sights of balloons soaring high above the ground.
- The Balloon Fiesta draws attention for locals and many tourists that travel from around the world to attend the Balloon Fiesta
- Flying Conditions – Albuquerque’s ideal wind conditioning and fall temperatures make it an ideal place to host this event. Balloon pilots look for ideal conditions called the “box”. The box is when a balloon can take off at low altitudes then drift south then they increase their altitude and drift north.
- The Balloon Fiesta draws crowds of over three-quarters of a million people who travel from all around the world
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta 2018
Be sure to check out part one and two of our visit to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta 2018 below!